Between the Toes

My dilemma… I have incredibly long toe furs! What’s wrong with this? It makes me SLIDE across the floor, the deck, and anything else with a slick surface. This is NOT good.

Why? You may ask. Well, a slippery surface makes me do splits with my hind legs… and that REALLY hurts. It hurts so much that I cry. I know, I’m a big baby. It hasn’t ever been as bad as it was yesterday — in fact, yesterday was really the first time that my family noticed that there may be a problem other than in my hind legs themselves.

But first…

I hope you don’t mind me sharing another drawing my mommy did. Can you guess who he is?

Between the Toes
It’s Alfie, from Alfie’s Blog!

Mommy made some slight color changes to the above drawing (darker in some areas, etc.).

My mommy doesn’t have any rhyme or reason to which furries she draws (unless it has been commissioned). She is currently building up her portfolio… and since I have the best looking furry friends, she’s been browsing around the bloggie neighborhood. When a photograph catches her eye, she just knows… and that’s the drawing she chooses. Since I’ve been asked a couple of times… all of the drawings I post are 5″x7″ unless it says otherwise. If I post a drawing of your furry one, you can indeed purchase it. Please contact me. I will let my mommy know. You can find more information on this page. Thank you, friends! Woofs! :)

Now for Between the Toes…

I was doing some zoomies in the house last night, and I did at least 2 crying splits. Mommy and daddy immediately had me go run outside, but then I did another crying split while running across the deck! *Sigh* So when I came back into the house, mommy and daddy decided that they would take immediate action. I wasn’t thrilled.

Mommy thought that my toenails might need to be trimmed. But then Daddy said he knew what it was… the fur between my toes had grown so long, that it was creating a slick surface under my feet. My pads were covered in furs!

All I remember from this traumatic experience, was a tingly feeling on my feet, and some wonderfully-tasting cookies. *Yum*

Between the Toes
Look at those toe furs!

Between the Toes
No WONDER I’m sliding all over the place!

Between the Toes
It’s like I’m ice skating across the floor all the time.

Between the Toes
This wasn’t an easy thing for my family to do. My daddy had to hold me,
& Taylor had to feed me treats after each time my mommy trimmed my furs.

Between the Toes
Mommy let me smell the trimmer. I didn’t like it
’cause it tickled my paws! Can’t help it that I’m ticklish!

Between the Toes
It took about 20-25 minutes, but they got all four paws trimmed.
I was exhausted, and had to go lay down and recover from my ordeal.

Between the Toes
Late last night, mommy took pics of my trimmed paws.

Between the Toes
She couldn’t trim ALL the way down, ’cause my furs
are attached so far down on my pads. They were shorter, though.

Between the Toes
Now we have to wait and see how much better I can run
in the house. That will be the true test. :)

Dogs in Cars… #8 to post on 5-3-12! Send in your Dogs in Cars photos! If you haven’t yet joined this series, or if you have new pics you’d like to share, send them in! If you already have my email, send away! If you need my email, contact me first!!

Pet Portraits… Thinking of memorializing your doggie, kitty, birdie, small critter, etc.? Why not have my mommy create a color drawing for you? View samples & pricing information here.

1. Roooo I thought I recognised that Entlebucher face – I’m famous! *Waggy tail*

This drawing is really pawsome, I will share the link with all my pals so they can see what a talented human you have! I’m feeling really honoured to have been immortalised.

And now on to the furry paws – my human used to have a long haired German Shepherd before me and she says she had to clip his toe har ALL THE TIME. I don’t get long hair like that, unless it starts growing long when I’m older like it does in old men roooo!
    Alfie |Alfie’s Blog recently posted..Monday Mischief – Going To WorkMy Profile

Our big brother used to have that problem too!!! It does hurt when too many hairs get in there! Hope you are able to run pain free today! xoxo Chloe and LadyBug
    bichonpawz recently posted..Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

3. Hi Bailey
    It is lovely to meet you. Oh, we sympathise with your toe furs, we have it too but luckily we are too small to slide around like you. We hope it helps, having a bit cut off.
    Your mum’s drawing is beautiful, she is a very talented lady!
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x
    Dip Bridge & Elliot recently posted..Almost WWMy Profile

hairy toes, hairy toes
    Snuggles

5. Brian says:

I hope that helps with your slip sliding because skating around like that would be no fun! P.S. Alfie is terrific!
    Brian recently posted..Tabby Tuesday Peace and LionsMy Profile

Momma has to do the same thing with Quinn since he can’t go to the Spa anymore (he gets too nervous). She knows it will upset him so she has been stalling but you have inspired her to just do it! Thanks.
    siku marie recently posted..April 23, 2012My Profile

I hope your trimmed paws make you feel better! Crying splits don’t sound like any fun at all :(

I’m glad that treats make you okay with getting your paw hair trimmed. Elka has such sort hair, I don’t have to worry about that, but there are a lot of dogs that do!
    Jen recently posted..Liebster Blog!My Profile

Wow, those were some long toe furs!! So glad that you made it through your ordeal without incident and enjoyed your well deserved nap! Hopefully no more splits!!

Once again, you mom has done another beautiful drawing! Such talent!

Higgins recently posted..Crazy WeatherMy Profile

9. Sasha says:

I hope you don’t do slippies now with your trimmed paws. They look nice and I am glad you got yummy treats.

Mommys picture is beautiful.

Loveys Sasha
    Sasha recently posted..Hope for our pals! POTPMy Profile

I sure hope you stop doing the splits. I do them on the big floor downstairs.
    Murphy recently posted..Are Our People Crazy?My Profile

11. Remington says:

I get mine cut about once a week….not good to slide and get hurt….

12. Oh sweet Bailey!! So sorry you’ve had this problem. It must have really been painful doing the splits like that. Good thing your mommy and daddy knew what the problem was. I can’t wait to hear how much better it is now. Blessings!!!
    Sugar and Meeka’s Mom recently posted..Crafts, Pups and StuffMy Profile

OH Bailey… I know JUST what you mean about the Feet Furs getting too long. My mom cuts OURS off… with scissors. It Really does make it so that we can Run FASTER. And MOM says it keeps HER Floors cleaner. I’m just sayin.

That trim should definitely help you perform your zoomies better, Bailey! We used to have to trim our Bear’s paw fur too! Great picture of Alfie! :)
    Bassetmomma recently posted..Mother NatureMy Profile

15. Oh dear, that hurts! My toes fur grows fast too so the humans will trim it for me or the groomers will do it when I’ve my spa.
    Eva or sometimes Priscilla recently posted..MishMash #8My Profile

16. Oh, my poor, beautiful Baily! I can’t bear the thought of you in pain!

I think your people should cover their floors with carpeting and they could put indoor-outdoor carpeting on the deck. BETTER YET: tell them to go green! GRASS FLOORS! They could start a new trend. Floors that you mow, instead of sweep. If they don’t want to bother with having to mow, how about SAND? Then you could even have fun digging! Gee, I’m just full of good ideas this morning…

Anything to help my Beautiful Baily!

XOXO,

HERO
    Nancy K. (and HERO) recently posted..It’s Mischievous Monday!My Profile

We have the same problem. We usually get our paw furs trimmed once or twice a year when we get our nails trimmed and go to the groomer. But poor Phantom, he seems to grow those furs on his paws so quickly and he slips on the hardwood floors a lot. Mom trims his with a scissors. He doesn’t like it but if she just does one paw and then waits a while she can get all four done. Some have suggested he wear booties, but we don’t think he would like that.

18. Oh No you have given my Mom ideas. I has long hair between my toes to. We don’t have many slick surfaces though so mostly I am OK. I have to be careful if I try to run in the dining room and kitchen on the laminate floor but there isn’t much space in there anyway so mostly I just lay around when I am in the house. But now Mommy thinks she knows why I am so clumsy in there. My feets are sliding out from under me cause of my fur. ~Fenris
    Artemisia, Fenris, Socks & Scylla recently posted..Tsarina TuesdayMy Profile

19. Kari says:

sigh… I need to do this to Haylie but I get lazy – Ive never cut her hair on her feet but now that we are cutting her nails I noticed how long it is and that it would help her on the wood floors if we cut that.
    Kari recently posted..Taking The Dog To LowesMy Profile

20. RumpyDog! says:

Oh Dog! I hope after all that there’s no more sliding Bailey! At least ya got cookies out of the ordeal.
    RumpyDog! recently posted..A Feral DilemmaMy Profile

21. Mango says:

I do the splits too. Momma put rugs down even where she doesn’t want to but she says I am perversely attracted to the exposed floor sections and then I fall down and sometimes I cry too. OUCH!

But your humans are right, that a good trim of the foot area helps. In fact I am going to tell momma right now to book me for a nail trim.

Slobbers,